She wants us to make a set of personal and political connections where we might not have previously been aware of links. Such questions cannot easily be answered with the same precision with which in theory a question about a change in the number of children per married woman can be answered.
That does not, of course, invalidate her arguments—it simply adds an onion skin of interpretation for the reader. Consider this statement: "There are few explicit references to Greece and to God in the excerpts presented above.
The Empty Cradle of Democracy: Sex, Abortion, and Nationalism in Modern Greece | SpringerLink
Without cookies your experience may not be seamless.
No institutional affiliation. LOG IN. Journal of the History of Sexuality.
- Introduction to Information Security: A Strategic-Based Approach;
- Chalkia, Alexandra [WorldCat Identities]?
- One Native Life.
- Sex, Abortion, and Nationalism in Modern Greece!
- Biblioteca Madre María Teresa Guevara?
- The Broken Past.
- The 11th Floor;
In lieu of an abstract, here is a brief excerpt of the content: Reviewed by:. It is in several senses a Big Book, but is it better for being bigger? If you would like to authenticate using a different subscribed institution that supports Shibboleth authentication or have your own login and password to Project MUSE.
See a Problem?
Additional Information. Project MUSE Mission Project MUSE promotes the creation and dissemination of essential humanities and social science resources through collaboration with libraries, publishers, and scholars worldwide. Alexandra Halkias. During the s, Greece had a very high rate of abortion at the same time that its low birth rate was considered a national crisis. The Empty Cradle of Democracy explores this paradox.
The formal public-sphere view is that women destroy the body of the nation by aborting future citizens.
- Wall Street Noir (Akashic Noir).
- Freely available!
- Log in to Wiley Online Library.
- Empty Cradle of Democracy (eBook, PDF)?
- A Quick Guide to Starting a Bookshop in South Africa: For New Books (How to Start a Bookshop in South Africa Book 1);
- The Empty Cradle of Democracy: Sex, Abortion, and Nationalism in Modern Greece.
The Empty Cradle of Democracy examines the complex relationship between nationalism and gender and re-theorizes late modernity and violence by exploring Greek representations of human agency, the fetus, national identity, eroticism, and the divine. The Agoras of Agon.