Skip to content. Volume 2.
Download a PDF of this article. Segal Theatre Center Publications Tawfiq al-Hakim, a pioneering figure of modern Arabic literature, wrote the full-length play, Rihlatun ilal-ghad , or Voyage to Tomorrow , in , at a time when he was already well-established as the leading playwright of the Arab world.
The Enchantment of Sheherazade
The other full-length play included here, The Tree Climber, is one that reveals al-Hakim's openness to outside influences in this case, the absurdist mode of writing. Of the two one-act plays in this collection, The Donkey Market shows his deftness at turning a traditional folk tale into a hilarious stage comedy. Tawfiq al-Hakim produced several of the earliest examples of the novel in Arabic; included in this volume is an extract from his best known work in that genre, the delightful Diary of a Country Prosecutor, in which he draws on his own experience as a public prosecutor in the Egyptian countryside.
- The Essential Tawfiq al-Hakim: Plays, Fiction, Autobiography by توفيق الحكيم.
- The Essential Tawfiq Al-Hakim : Denys Johnson-Davies : ?
- Log in to Wiley Online Library.
- The essential Tawfiq al-Hakim : plays, fiction, autobiography, edited by Denys Johnson-Davies;
- Big Table, Busy Kitchen: 200 Recipes for Life.
- Seeing Double: Baudelaires Modernity.
- (The Great) Tawfiq al-Hakim On Writing: Novels vs. Plays!
Three of the many short stories he published are also included, as well as an extract from The Prison of Life, an autobiography in which Tawfiq al-Hakim writes with commendable frankness about himself. He wrote over seventy plays, as well as a number of novels and short stories and an autobiography.